Thursday, October 20, 2011

Tools That Make...

"5% think, 10% think they think, 85% would rather die than think."
Just a somewhat funny quote I found online that caught my attention. It’s sad to say that only 5% of the people actually think while the other 10% think they think. Laughing out loud? Yes.

How does extensive internet or media change the way I think? I’m not exactly sure how it changes the way I personally think. Technology makes me somewhat unproductive and perhaps habitually lazy. It sure makes me distracted and makes me waste valuable time by logging onto my others accounts… anyway, concentration is definitely a key point to this—with all sorts of tabs and gadgets or widgets on a computer, it’s almost impossible not to get distracted while trying to actually do something productive. Thinking about my thinking, right? I know how to manage my time and I do know the subjects and topics that interest me, of course... I’m getting distracted by just typing up this comment. iTunes, Facebook and YouTube are just a click away.

I read a pretty interesting article how people literally, “cut and paste”, I mean, with scissors and glue when they wanted to copy something. The article also gave me some historical background about the first computer that was invented 400 years ago which was more bulky than a typewriter and could calculate up to six digit numbers. It’s fascinating to understand and see how much technology has improved and how people decades ago dealt with minimal information.


1 comment:

  1. I love the quote you started off with! Haha.It is so true, "5% think, 10% think they think, 85% would rather die than think.". Well I completely agree with you about the internet being s distraction. How is it possible to sit and be online doing homework with no distraction from the internet itself? Is it just a thing of setting our minds on it?

    ReplyDelete